James Wood Bounces Back With Victory Over Park View

Posted: September 5, 2015
Special to The Winchester Star
WINCHESTER — The only game on the schedule bigger and better then that of the much anticipated first game of the season is that home opener.
That first time throwing on your dark jersey and running out on to your field in front of your crowd gets the blood flowing like nothing else can.
Trying to erase bad memories of a season opening loss last week in which they gave up 55 points the James Wood football team took on a much improved Park View squad that had a whole lot more then football on their mind Friday night.
Players and students of Park View High School spent much of the day in lock down after a sophomore at the school was shot and killed on his way to school this morning, approximately a mile from the school. One Patriots player said that two of his teammates witnessed the tragedy and one of them didn’t make the trip to Winchester with the team.
Wood’s defense was much improved in Game 2, and the offense was clicking at time like a well-oiled machine, but it was a pair of special teams plays that swung the momentum at the end of the first half and helped carry the Colonels to satisfying 32-20 victory over the Patriots.
“This is a big win, we’ve got Warren County next and we don’t know a whole lot about them,” James Wood coach Mark McHale said. “Our defense stepped up big tonight and our offensive line has played great. I’m proud of our offensive line.
“That was a big win for us, they won last week and we didn’t. We have to execute better, we had too many penalties tonight and we can’t have that next week.”
James Wood senior running back Tyler Bishop showed everyone that he is on a mission this season. One week after rushing for 288 yards and two touchdowns, Bishop had another huge game to lead the Colonels.
Bishop rushed 27 times for 190 yards and three touchdowns. He also caught two passes for 44 yards and another score.
“We played pretty well, there were times when we could’ve played better,” Bishop said. “We came back this week, we were tougher and we were hungry. We wanted to be the best we could be.”
After forcing the Patriots three and out to start the game the Colonels wasted no time getting on the scoreboard.
Wood (1-1) took over on the Park View 43 after a short punt and only took four plays to score in 1:43 to grab an early 8-0 lead after the two-point conversion.
Bishop handled the ball three of the four plays and scored from three yards out to give the Colonels the early advantage.
Park View (1-1) again went three and out on its next possession again setting the Colonels up in great field position with another short punt at the Patriots 47.
However Wood was unable to take advantage losing a fumble at the Park View 35 to miss a golden opportunity.
The Patriots responded by driving 65 yards in 13 plays and getting on the board with a little bit of trickery when back-up quarterback Adam Thorn came into the game and threw a 23-yard touchdown pass to starting quarterback Chase Jefferson who had lined up wide, cutting the Colonel lead to one, 8-7.
Wood’s next score came after another Park View mishap when senior defensive back Noah Sullivan intercepted an errant pass and returned it eight yards to the Patriots 28.
The Colonels found paydirt again when quarterback Dade Carroll threw a flare pass to Bishop who raced 30 yards for the score. The two-point try failed and the lead was 14-7 with just over five minutes left in the half.
Park View appeared to steal off the Colonels momentum on the ensuing drive. The Patriots took over on their own 20 and put together a 13-play drive that ate all but 49 seconds. They tied the game up at 14-14 when Jefferson raced 14 yards.
However Bishop and the Colonels weren’t done, yet. Bishop returned the kickoff 48 yards to the Park View 34, giving the Colonels 39 seconds.
On the second play, Bishop ripped off a run of 22 yards to the 11.
Trying to catch the Patriots off guard, Carroll faked a handoff to Bishop and kept the ball himself but was stopped at the 6.
With no timeouts, the Colonels called for their “quick field” and got set just in time to snap the ball with one second left and Brady Burner nailed a 23-yard field goal to give a 17-14 lead at the break.
Wood took the second-half kickoff and drove 68 yards in 14 plays. Bishop’s 1-yard run made the score 24-14.
Park View had the ball the rest of the quarter and scored two plays into the fourth quarter to cut the lead to 24-20.
A Colonels drive stalled deep in Park View territory, but they still ended up with points as Funkhouser sacked Jefferson for a safety and a 26-20 lead. Following the free kick, Wood put the game away when Bishop broke free and raced 38 yards for his fourth score.
“We knew they were big and tough and we’re trying to be,” Park View coach Mick Mullins said. “We fight harder then we have in the past. I’m proud of the guys for going through what they did today and coming down here and showing up well. I think they played a hard game. The team that executing better tonight won.”